Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Light in the Window

There once was a light in the window
that fell on me in the middle of the evening
it came from one such high skylight
where a sunsets rays could not penetrate
When once I stood on one cabinet up high
what I did see was such a sight
as would make any one lady sigh
yes sigh a sigh of delight

For there trapped in the window
was a fairy of fine delicate figure and form
who once was a midsummer day's light
and all arrayed in such glorious bright

for all fairies are light that once did transform
in a storm on the sea at midnight
into the most beautiful brightly arrayed nymphs

Who with delicate wings
did beautiful things
high in that dark midnight sky
Then the sea was so pleased
it's storm was appeased
and the lightning gave over
it's brilliant blinding light
to robe the small figures

now back to my tale
let me finish but never fail
to tell you the beautiful thing
this little trapped vision did bring
to give him who was to free her
she said this to me, "oh kind sir"
so said her silvery voice
"You have but one choice,
"It would do you no harm
"but quite a bit of good
"to let me free, I'll give you my charm
"and ever should you need
"a helping hand from my kin
"ask but for a little kitten feed
"and whatever you had been
"would be gone and what you would be
"is only the most beautiful thing any could ever see
"for you would be king of the Fay
"though you would not have to stay
"if such a life did not suit
"for not until the third day
"would your life begin to take root
"now let us not discourse
"any longer, as now
"I am becoming hoarse"

For you see
fairies have very small voices
and must shout all they say
when speaking to us bigger blokes
and giving us but few choices

I did not much like the thought
of becoming a king of such little folk
but as I had always been taught
I quickly obliged and hurriedly broke
what held the imp in her prison
and before she had risen
I hoped she would melt away
as in stories so many do not stay
to give such blessings that may just cause
more harm then help and have many flaws

But no she was noble
and that I saw; a crown
did grace her high forehead
and flowing liquid light was her gown
with the soft white of swan down

Her eyes were jewels
blue as sapphire were those burning orbs
now I stood there like a fool
for no longer was she but a tiny fairy
she had grown up and out
until she had all light swirling about
her flowing locks
seemed so filled with shocks
that came from lightning rods

But here I am
getting lost in her beauty
and not going on with my tale
as truly it is my duty

as I was saying
she stood in her grace
and I stood praying
she would turn away her face
before I melted into her grace
and lost my mind in the light
that filled my tower room with twilight
So I stood paralyzed

and she strode-no she floated
for she rode on the wind
as thus she was coated
with stars and sunlight
ask me not how

I so wished to bow
but she held out her hand
to stop me and make me stand
now in soft voice
not much louder than before
she gave me that choice
which now made my heart soar

"You have saved a queen
"This gives you a favor
that you may request
For you are the saver
who is so much braver
when given a chance
to go and advance
But let me ask my query
Will you be my King?
And for you I will sing."

I did not understand
all that she said
But one thing I knew
she was giving her hand
to me to be wed
but why would she choose
one whose shoes
were not only larger than her homes
but his livelyhood too

Had fairies such silly frivolity
to so lower their quality
because of one simple deed
they would forever on lead
a life united with one so common?

I feared so greatly
that for this fair lady
I would need to refuse
so as never to misuse
one of such a higher race
as this one ladies Grace

Then as I opened my mouth to speak
she held up her hand and her head
and looked at me instead
this is what she said in a voice so commanding
it made me shake in my boots
"I can but see your thoughts dear one
"and though you are a peasant's son
"I have watched from afar
and have seen on good star
speak of your dreaming
being much more than seaming
and this we both agreed upon
you have the heart of a nobleman.

And my father from afar
sent me here with a tar
to seek out the man
who could dream like a fairy
and be brave like a wherry."

And so much more did happen
she explained who had trapped her
here in the window
and how it had happened
that he should be the one to save her
so I agreed
to go with her away
to meet with he father and there be wed
and thus become immortal king of the Fay
but that was only the beginning of the day!


It is incomplete but I must end it there. Even though the story has only just begun and can't understand all that I had to say because the rhyming took it in a different direction then I wanted :).

Hope you enjoy it!

Your's (The Lord's) )Truly!(.
Amy

2 comments:

  1. haha..AMY!!marcus here..

    when u said poem, i expected it to be 2 lines..NOT A WHOLE CHORAL SPEAKING or DRAMA SCRIPT?!!haha..anywayz..good job..i didnt read thru it thoroughly yet..but there are a few catchy rhymes..way to go..on ur way to be a writer eh..keke..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! Thankss!! great encouragement for my writing :). I hope you like some of da other stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Popularity...or total lack of it

Never Give Up!