Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Analogy of the Tree

Now my heart is full. I have so little time and so much to say. I have half an hour before my friend arrives and I enter the wonderful world of craziness.

I have two similes I came up with recently. I'd like you to here them and see what you think. Today my mind has had a flow of ideas on what I can say in this blog. I hope I can get even a fraction down. Bear with me. My first metaphor is actually the second one I came up with and I thought of it just a little while ago.


My mind is like a tree. It grows and branches out with brown limbs that reach to the sky and are nurtured by the sun and the rain. Its leaves are ideas that sprout and grow, developing as they unfurl into beautiful, varied greenery. My mind is like a tree that goes through seasons very quickly. The ideas sprout and grow and then dry up and fall from the branches as the sap that was feeding them is directed elsewhere.


At times my mind as a tree is in winter and all the thoughts are gone and a cold frost chill the hungry branches. Then snow comes to cover and coat the branches with a pure white that cleanses and beautifies. Those are the times I'm out of resources and just have to be in patient waiting trying to glorify God even when I can't be seemingly doing anything worth the while.


Then spring comes to the branches and the sap begins to flow. My time of waiting passes and inspiration returns. Life comes to the branches and new shoots start sprouting in all different areas. I get ideas and start developing them, seeing where they will take me. At some point along the way, if this tree is a fruit tree, the gardener will need to come along and cut away some of the branches so the others will be more productive. Sometimes I will reach out for ideas and opportunities that are good, but not right for the time. When they are cut off and taken away it gives me more focus and strength to really develop the important ones.


Once the tree has grown leaves along all the branches that remain, other things can come. Perhaps this tree can be a nice home for a robins nest or some squirrels might find it a comfortable place to stay. These things might be a combination of my ideas and something that comes from somewhere else that become plans. Then the plans can develop and grow with the help of the outside and my own ideas until it can take flight. That would also imply that it is helped and nurtured by me and then goes beyond my control, influence, and I can no longer claim it as my own.


Then as summer draws near the fruit or nuts that grow on this tree begin to develop. Those might be a different kind of idea, perhaps something more significant. They also might be a project that I work on. As time goes on and the fruit is fed by tree and sun and it ripens. That would be the developing of the project and getting some outside input. Then the fruit must be picked or it will over ripen and turn rotten. It would be as if I hold onto a project too long and it either becomes obsolete or just gets old.


Well I could go into fall but I think your getting the idea. Now I need to go eat my lunch. I don't have time for the other simile but I'll tell you later.

P.S (This was posted a day later than when I wrote it)

Once again a disclaimer: I hold to no pretense that this is all that good but I hope you can just enjoy it. Obviously, you found it worth while enough to read it through. (Unless of course you skipped to this dark red disclaimer) So don't be to upset by it's lack of 'brilliance'.

Your's (The Lord's) )Truly!(.
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popularity...or total lack of it

Never Give Up!